[Coco] emulator speeds(was "Parts is parts")

David golgotha at toughguy.net
Sat Apr 2 08:23:31 EST 2005

Bruce W. Calkins wrote:

>I have used the 1.2 Meg drive to make SSDD disks for my CoCo, Using the JV
>emulator with the Collier(sp?) DSKINI.
>
>Step One; Bulk erase the transfer disk.
>Step Two; DSKINI to the clean transfer disk.
>Step Three; In the CoCo, BACKUP the transfer disk to a disk formatted on the
>CoCo.
>Repeat as necessary.
>
>The transfer disk can be reused without bulk erasing until you write to it
>with the CoCo or any other DD drive.
>
>Logic;  The R/W head in the HD drive is narrow.  When it writes to a disk
>written by a DD drive it can not fully rewrite the DD track, resulting in
>corrupted data.  A CLEAN disk written on a HD drive can be read on a DD
>drive.  However it occasionally lacks the strength to hold it's data over
>time.
>
>This has worked well for me.  One problem I have encountered is, Some DSK
>files I have downloaded seem to be corrupt.  These need to be copied file by
>file within the emulator and the new DSK result can then be DSKINIed to a
>floppy as above.

Perhaps the 'corrupt' .DSK images you refer to are actually DMK format
.DSK images (are they larger than the usual 161KB .DSK images?)

They contain actual physical disk info also, not just the file data -
trying to write these files directly using DSKINI, as you've seen,
doesn't work.

The DMK format is usually used for copy-protected games released for use
with emulators (ie. 7th Link, Weatherstone's End, etc)

Regards,
David