[Coco] emulator speeds(was "Parts is parts")

Bruce W. Calkins brucecalkins at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 2 07:15:47 EST 2005

I have used the 1.2 Meg drive to make SSDD disks for my CoCo, Using the JV
emulator with the Collier(sp?) DSKINI.

Step One; Bulk erase the transfer disk.
Step Two; DSKINI to the clean transfer disk.
Step Three; In the CoCo, BACKUP the transfer disk to a disk formatted on the
CoCo.
Repeat as necessary.

The transfer disk can be reused without bulk erasing until you write to it
with the CoCo or any other DD drive.

Logic;  The R/W head in the HD drive is narrow.  When it writes to a disk
written by a DD drive it can not fully rewrite the DD track, resulting in
corrupted data.  A CLEAN disk written on a HD drive can be read on a DD
drive.  However it occasionally lacks the strength to hold it's data over
time.

This has worked well for me.  One problem I have encountered is, Some DSK
files I have downloaded seem to be corrupt.  These need to be copied file by
file within the emulator and the new DSK result can then be DSKINIed to a
floppy as above.