[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 19, Issue 133

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Mon Apr 25 19:31:14 EDT 2005

Try Open Office (www.openoffice.org). The new version (2.0 beta) looks more like Office XP than the older one (current stable version, which I'm starting to use). The program reads MS Office formats and will save in MS Office formats also. There are Windows and Linux versions as well as versions for some of the other open source OSes. I think it's the ultimate thumb to MS -- I'm running Open Office on my laptop! I have MS Office 95, but since it won't read later Office documents I went with Open Office. There is a word processor, spreadsheet (the stable version is limited to fewer cells than Excell), drawing program, and a presentation program -- all compatible with MS Office applications! I haven't tried an Office XP document with Open Office yet, but it opens all others I've run across. Haven't tried anything with embedded photos either.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent