[Coco] Viewing GIF files on a Coco

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Mon Sep 27 22:34:42 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:05:51 -0500 Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com>
writes:
> Fred, as the others mentioned, GIF87a was the original format and
> most CoCo
> viewers support only that format.  However, unless you see animation
> or any
> other special effects, it's probably just a standard GIF but with
> the
> GIF89a header.  Most encoders just stick the GIF89a label at the
> beginning
> of the files even if the picture doesn't use any GIF89a features.
> So...
> you can probably use a hex editor and change the 9 to a 7 and get
> those
> pictures to load using the older CoCo viewers.  Projector-3 doesn't
> have a
> problem with viewing GIF89a pics, and even supports some of the 89a
>
> features (to some degree, not ignoring them altogether).

That did it! I used 'dEd' to analyze the file and right at the beginning
of the file it says 'GIF89A'. I changed the 9 to a 7, saved the change,
exited out of dEd, re-ran the 'viewgif' utility, and presto! The picture
displayed! That's all there was to it. Now I have a baby picture of my
daughter displayed on my Coco! It looks great. Thank you all so much for
your help.

Fred Provoncha