[Coco] Viewing GIF files on a Coco

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Sep 27 20:05:51 EDT 2004

Fred, as the others mentioned, GIF87a was the original format and most CoCo
viewers support only that format.  However, unless you see animation or any
other special effects, it's probably just a standard GIF but with the
GIF89a header.  Most encoders just stick the GIF89a label at the beginning
of the files even if the picture doesn't use any GIF89a features.  So...
you can probably use a hex editor and change the 9 to a 7 and get those
pictures to load using the older CoCo viewers.  Projector-3 doesn't have a
problem with viewing GIF89a pics, and even supports some of the 89a
features (to some degree, not ignoring them altogether).

--
Roger Taylor