[Coco] Capacitor question

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Sun Sep 26 10:43:40 EDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:36:20 -0500
  Mannequin* <mannslists at invigorated.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:23:59 -0700
>"Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com> wrote:
>
>> Mannequin:
>>
>> Basically you purchased caps that are rated to handle a
>> higher maximum voltage than the originals, so they are
>> actually better than the original.  If your system went
>> over >25 volts, you'd have bigger problems than just the
>> caps :)
>>
>> Jim
>
>Thanks, Jim. I was thinking along the same lines, but
>wanted to be sure that I
>couldn't use them at all. When I purchased the caps from
>Radio Shack, I couldn't
>see the voltage on those suckers very well... and those
>were the only caps of
>that nature at the store. So I'm back to square one.
>Needing to find two 25v
>220uf caps. Any suggestions?
>
>I have another question about the caps. Why did Tandy use
>two
>physically different size caps when they are both 25v
>220uf? Why not just use
>the smaller size and be done with it?
>
>As a note of interest, After looking at the Coco's
>motherboard more closely, I
>now know why people like to repack, upgrade, and
>generally play around with it.
>It's a simple, but sturdy design. My original
>reservations about replacing the
>caps have all but vanished... I've done harder things on
>$3000.00 Mac
>motherboards before.
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>-M.

Mannequin:

I think you misunderstood me.  If the replacement caps are
rated at 35V, and the originals are rated at only 25V,
then use the 35V caps.  The only difference is that the
replace caps can handle a higher voltage.

As for you second question, I haven't looked a CoCo
motherboard in a quite a long time, but sometimes the size
of cap may be due to the physical space available on the
board layout or is an indicator of a different type of
cap.
Then again, they could be from different vendors.

Jim