[Coco] Capacitor question

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun Sep 26 10:36:20 EDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:23:59 -0700
"Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com> wrote:

> Mannequin:
>
> Basically you purchased caps that are rated to handle a
> higher maximum voltage than the originals, so they are
> actually better than the original.  If your system went
> over >25 volts, you'd have bigger problems than just the
> caps :)
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted to be sure that I
couldn't use them at all. When I purchased the caps from Radio Shack, I couldn't
see the voltage on those suckers very well... and those were the only caps of
that nature at the store. So I'm back to square one. Needing to find two 25v
220uf caps. Any suggestions?

I have another question about the caps. Why did Tandy use two
physically different size caps when they are both 25v 220uf? Why not just use
the smaller size and be done with it?

As a note of interest, After looking at the Coco's motherboard more closely, I
now know why people like to repack, upgrade, and generally play around with it.
It's a simple, but sturdy design. My original reservations about replacing the
caps have all but vanished... I've done harder things on $3000.00 Mac
motherboards before.

Thanks for the help!

-M.