[Coco] domain names

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Sep 16 03:04:54 EDT 2004

At 10:32 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>I use mydomain.com and I really own my domain name. They don't host my
>site, I just use them to get my dns entry published for $8.50
>
>I keep my server in my house since I have a static IP and high
>bandwidth.
>
>Even if you can't set up a scenario like that, you can still manage the
>domain name yourself and just get the ip address of your next server and
>enter it.
>
>This way it's all within your control.

That's true.  I've pointed domain names at different hosts before, but if
you try to transfer ownership of the domain name later, there could be days
of no service.   I didn't think many ISPs that provide broadband allow you
to serve sites from your home, but considering that they offer static IPs,
it seems silly not to.  I have a web client that has DSL and I've got a
full-speed barn cam running from her XP machine that can handle about 5 or
10 direct connections.  I told BellSouth exactly why I wanted the static IP
and they didn't have an issue with it.  But I've heard people say that
Roadrunner doesn't allow serving from home?  Kinda defeats the whole
purpose of the internet, now doesn't it.

--
Roger Taylor