[Coco] SuperIDE and Superdriver rock , but...

Benoit Bleau benoit.bleau at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 19:16:49 EDT 2004

I just got the SuperIDE controller from Cloud9, and Mark built me
a Nitros9 hard drive, which works flawlessly.

I'm having some difficulties putting Nitros9 on a compact flash.
I created the HDB-DOS partitions (256 virtual floppies).  I formatted
them using the fmtall basic program, and I can access them no problem.
I've put content on random disks, and it works as expected.

However, when I attempt to format the drive using the SuperDrivers,
I get error 250 during the physical verify after about 470 sectors.

My setup is the following:
Coco3, 512K
6309 CPU
Multipak (upgraded for coco3)
FD501 Floppy controler, drive 0 40DS, drive 1 80DS, drive 2 40DS (which I
can't reach under HDB-DOS)
SuperIDE
SimpleTech 256megs CompactFlash

When I ran wizard.bas on the hdb-dos,  if gave me a number of
sectors for OS9 ( 680960 ). I've booted Nitros9 with the
SuperDriver disk, and I used the following commands:

dmode /i0 cyl=A64 sid=8 typ=81   (this gives 680960 sectors)
format /i0
    Disk Name: Nitros9
    Physical Verify desired? y

Format displayed then number of the formatted sectors, then and after 470
sectors (1D6) the screen showed errors 250 (device busy)

I tried other geometries :   32 sct, 32 sides, 665 cylinders, and I get the
same result, at 940 sectors ( 470 * 2).

When I get the error 250, the LED on the SuperIDE stays lit, until I reset
the Coco.

Have I hit the proverbial incompatible compact flash?

-Ben