[Coco] Re: File extensions

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Wed Oct 20 07:37:45 EDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:59:41 EDT
KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/19/04 8:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mannslists at invigorated.org writes:
>
> > > I agree that extensions are great for people, but an OS should not
> >  > primarily rely on them for identifying files.  In general users don't
> >  > really care if a picture is a JPEG, a GIF, a PNG, a TIFF, etc.  they
> >  > just care that it is a picture.
> >
> >  The problem with the picture file analogy is that people _do_ care because
> > of copyright and patent issues.
>
> *People* don't care about this.  Some lawyers and professionals might.
> I know there had been some hassles around GIF in the past, but I have plenty
> of all type of picture files here, a photo editor that freely converts between
> any of them, and couldn't give a hoot.  --Mike K.

But they do care! There are more than enough of these *people* we are talking
about that work in graphics that otherwise don't know how to use their computer.
Several people I know, or am aquanted with, come to mind. Also, most of the
*people* I know, have a preference as to which picture format they like the
best. (Normally it's JPEG.)

-M.