[Coco] Re: File extensions

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 00:59:41 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/19/04 8:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mannslists at invigorated.org writes:

> > I agree that extensions are great for people, but an OS should not
>  > primarily rely on them for identifying files.  In general users don't
>  > really care if a picture is a JPEG, a GIF, a PNG, a TIFF, etc.  they
>  > just care that it is a picture.
>
>  The problem with the picture file analogy is that people _do_ care because
> of copyright and patent issues.

*People* don't care about this.  Some lawyers and professionals might.
I know there had been some hassles around GIF in the past, but I have plenty
of all type of picture files here, a photo editor that freely converts between
any of them, and couldn't give a hoot.  --Mike K.