New Games wasRe: [Coco] Re: Re: philosphical ... discussions

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Oct 9 01:46:50 EDT 2004

>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Robert Emery <theother_bob at yahoo.com>

>AMEN to that!! I've played some AWESOME CoCo3 games lately, such as
>GoldRunner2000(fricken amazing!!), Gate Crasher (all of Nick's
>games!), etc...  so we all know there is room for improvement on many
>old classics.

The CoCo is a great machine for playing AND writing games.  Myself, I
don't play that many computer games.  Most of the ones I do are on the
CoCo.

I thought we missed a great chance a few years ago, when the _Starship
Troopers_ movie came out.  AFAIK "Klendathu", on the CoCo, was the only
computer game based off the book.  A sequel, perhaps based more off
the movie, would have been really cool.  After all, the Klendathu game
was Operation Bughouse (If you've read the book).  And Operaton
Bughouse was a complete disaster that nearly lost the Bug War for the
humans.  The book ends as they prepare for the second invasion of
Klendathu...  A sequel is definitely called for. ;-)

(As an aside, I wasn't that impressed with the movie... It wanted to
be _Big Red 1_ in space, and failed...)

I think a lot could be done (even from BASIC) in the way of turn-based
games on the CoCo.  Something like the Masters of Orion, Warlords,
the early Final Fantasy games....

Perhaps it would help if Sportsware's old Wargame Designer was
available?

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA