[Coco] CoCo to SVGA

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Oct 28 13:30:52 EDT 2004

All:

According to this link:

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/av/cm8cocorgb.html

We have RGB on pins 3,4,5 respectively, and HSYNC, VSYNC on pins 8 and 9
(see the diagram for pin placement). I don't know if this is accurate or
not, I would trust diagrams from the Rainbow first. Anyhow, the CoCo 3
has RGB out, this much is known.

Now, the question in my mind, is the RGB out on the CoCo 3 digital, or
analog? Does anyone here know? As I noted in my last email, I seem to
recall the original discussion (in the late 1980's) being that the CoCo
3 had one form (digital or analog RGB signals), and the PC monitors
needed the opposite. Of course, I am wondering if I am confusing EGA (or
CGA) with VGA (CGA and EGA were more dominant then). On this page:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vga_bd15.html

is shown the PC VGA connector pinout - and seems to indicate that the
inputs are analog.

For completeness sake, here is the Amiga connector:

http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/hardware/misc/amiga_rgb.htm

Which seems to have both digital and analog RGB outputs. Now, I know the
original Amiga monitor could be used with a CoCo 3, and that the Amiga
could also hook up to a VGA monitor - but likely this was all due to
special connectors tapping into one or the other RGB outputs (digital or
analog) - right?

Digging around on other sites seemed to indicate that the CoCo 3
produced analog RGB as well...?

So - here is the issues:

1. CoCo 3 Analog - PC VGA digital - need a converter.
2. CoCo 3 Digital - PC VGA analog - need a converter.
3. Both digital - can be wired straight thru.
4. Both analog - can be wired straight thru.

For cases 1 and 2 - how difficult would the converter be to build? Would
it be three high-speed ADCs or DACs for the RGB lines? And what about
HSYNC/VSYNC (don't know if they are digital or analog as well)? Plus,
issues with positive or negative sync pulses need to be dealt with (if
the monitor is expecting the opposite).

For cases 3 and 4 - it may or may not work - what is the P-P voltage
values expected vs. being produced by the CoCo 3? There is also the sync
issues as well (possibly). Finally, there is the frequency issues - what
are the H and V freqs of the CoCo 3, versus a PC VG monitor? Do they
still make multiscan monitors (I remember that there was only a few PC
VGA multiscan monitors in the day that would work with the Amiga in it's
lower-res modes because most monitors couldn't sync low enough)?

Does this pique anyone's interest?

Andrew