[Coco] Re: atari USB device

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Tue Nov 23 06:55:06 EST 2004

I'd like to see the USB device as a replacement for the disk controller, even if it was limited to that. The only problem I can see is that only 3.5" 1.44M floppy drives are available USB ready. There are USB cases for 5.25" devices, but all are for IDE or SATA devices. So a USB conversion interface would have to be made for 5.25" drives for backwards compatibility. Okay, maybe replacing the disk controller entirely isn't a good idea! But replacing the IDE controller is. It would make things much simpler! I know attaching a USB keyboard sounds great, but that might be a bit difficult to interface and wouldn't have as much appeal as disk and optical drives, especially if the type of drive didn't matter.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent