[Coco] GCC for the 6809

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 13:41:59 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 18:39, James Dessart wrote:
> On 20-Nov-04, at 12:30 AM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
> > I'd love to have a *good* non-archaic c compiler to use.
> >
> > Good, as in, generates good code.
> >
> > Until then it's assembly language on the 6809
>
> That's basically it in a nutshell, and I'd agree. gcc right now is not
> in any state to be truly useable. You can do basic RSDOS stuff with it,
> but that's about it. It doesn't produce position-independant code, and
> in its current incarnation can't. Boisy did some work to get the linker
> to produce OS-9 binaries, but it's been hindered by that fact.
>
> James

Thanks for your work to get it to where it is now.

I'd take up your project but
a) I haven't written a code generator since college, and then it was for
a stack machine type CPU.
b) Already have too many projects.

I hope someone picks this project up, it is probably the most important
Coco software project around, since a solid modern C compiler will make
porting a lot of Free software possible.

-- John.