[Coco] Video sync issue... (crosspost)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Nov 11 09:08:13 EST 2004

Okay

Here is how the SYNC opcode works

The processor is placed in suspended operation and waits for an
maskable or non maskable interrupt. If the F and I bits of the CC
register is clear then the MPU will perform the corresponding IRQ
service as set by one of the three vector addresses.

IF the F and I bits of the CC register is set and the interrupt is and
IRQ or FIRQ then the processor will not do the IRQ service interrupt
and process the next instruction.

The SYNC opcode will always wait and then process an NMI if and
only if the NMI circuit is armed. The NMI ackknowledged circuit will
not be armed until the first write to the S register establishing the
stack after a hardware restart(RESET).

One other note if the Interrupt, maskable or non maskable, is less
than 3 machine cycles then the Sync state is departed and
processing continues as if nothing happened. T he key is that in
order to sychronize to an external event the interrupt needs to be at
least 3 machine cycles in duration.

Yes this opcode is used to synchronize the processor instrructions
to an external event through the interrupts. If  you do not want to
execute ISR routine then the IRQ need be only one or two machine
cycles long.

The key here is that the NMI, FIRQ, and IRQ inputs are not edge
level trtiggered.

james