[Coco] Hello All

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sat May 29 02:38:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

If someone is using Outlook Express and there is a very good chance that
they are as OE is the most used news reader.

That their ISP is Earthlink's is also a very good conclusion as it has so
many subscribers.

When persons click on "Newsgroups" in OE they get a huge list of newsgroups.
Overwhelming them for sure as the count was 29, 232 the last time I checked.

They may search for keywords or just scroll down the list looking for hints
of something they might want to read.

When they find a newsgroups that might be perhaps interesting, they can
click on subscribe (Only internally in OE), click go to and then download a
few headers and assuming that they are connected to the Internet read the
message bodies by just clicking.

If they determine that they are not interested, they just UnSubscribe (Only
internally in OE),  and go back to the Newsgroups list and look for more
newsgroups to take a quick look at.

This method of stumbling on UseNet *"Bit.Listserv.CoCo"* News Group is what
we have lost.

If they are just starting out they may just see a lot of Spam and no recent
traffic about CoCo's.

I wonder if Earthlink may be willing to delete all the old messages which
are overwhelmed with Spam?

IMHO we should find a way and start posting the groups messages to the
UseNet *"Bit.Listserv.CoCo"* News Group as soon as we can. A new beginning.

Any nay-sayers would be requested to be specific with their problems and
help requested to overcome the problems.

The number of new CoCo posters has been a steady rate of several each week.
I add their names to my address book and flag all CoCo messages so that any
new member posting is recognized by me.  This is just the rate of new people
posting, I assume that many more are quietly reading.

We really have a growing group. Are counts being kept?

The above is also true for other news readers and other ISP's.

IMHO the time is right to restart UseNet *"Bit.Listserv.CoCo"* News Group
with lots of real CoCo traffic.

We have so much going on that is so very good that we should become more
visible on UseNet.
The upcoming change to Windows XP, Service pack 2 (SP2) is a major change to
the internet for all users of Windows XP.

I suspect that just about everyone will switch to this new way of using the
internet. Those persons who are slow to change will be pressured by their
ISP's to do so. The ISP's will save money and businesses also. It will be
high pressure and required.

Both of the methods below assume that persons have discovered information
about out existence. Low probability that they have.