[Coco] Glenside IDE drivers problematic?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed May 26 14:24:44 EDT 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 1:07 PM, <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> I got a disk with the drivers (and source, and shareware EZGen) from
> the Glenside IDE booth at the CoCoFest.
>
> The lock up is one of those where the system freezes, but you can
> still press CLEAR (but not type).  I don't have extra windows open so
> I just see the cursor flicker when I press clear, but an earlier
> lockup with a window open let me switch windows but not type.

This is symptomatic of the driver doing a busy-wait.  Interrupts are
still enabled, so pressing CLEAR or any key will cause that key to be
buffered, but since the driver is spin-locking, no other process gets a
chance to run, and thus you don't see what you type.

I suspect the driver is waiting on some condition that isn't happening
with the CF.  A sure fire way to eliminate your interface as a
possibility is to try the exact same setup with a Glenside IDE
interface (but you would then need a CF-adapter...)

> I am now able to get a hang just by doing a read-only ccheck (B&B file
> check util) from the IDE/CF card, so it does seem related to either
> the IDE drivers or something going wrong in my IDE interface.  I
> should see if I ever get a hang from HDB-DOS
>
> About the CD/DVD(!) support:  Does this let me burn an RBF drive image
> to CD and read it on the CoCo?

Yes, you can use Toast on your Mac to burn an RBF image onto a CD, and
then put that CD into an IDE CD-ROM drive attached to your CoCo running
NitrOS-9.  It is absolutely working with the two drives that I have,
and I intend to commandeer more CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives for testing.

Boisy