[Coco] Virus infected files on ftp://maltedmedia.com

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 12 23:27:13 EDT 2004

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> At 09:51 AM 5/12/04 -0400, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>>What is the login procedure when using an ftp program on maltedmedia? I
>>can open a connection but when trying to get to the correct directory
>>I'm asked to login.
>

> Open a connection with anonymous FTP. Most FTP programs (and even IE) have
> an "anonymous" checkbox.
>
> If you are getting rejected even with a proper anonymous connection, it may
> be that connections are exceeded. In order to prevent the mass downloads I
> was seeing that were causing huge bandwidth spikes, I have limited access
> to two simultaneous anonymous FTP connections.
>
> By the way, you may only upload to the /incoming/ directory.
>
> Dennis

I may have found out what my problem is. I obtained an FTP program,
AceFTP for Windows, and tried a download from maltedmedia. This time I
received some diagnostic info via the ftp program.

Within seconds of getting the complete Coco_2001.zip file I got:
450 Socket write to client timed out.
Transferred 3,158,016 bytes in 927.03 seconds (3.33KB/s)
Unable to complete transfer
PASV
Connection reset by peer
Disconnected

Looks like there may be a time-out problem with slow dial-up connections
to your ftp server. I'd bet that this was what was happening the
previous three attempts with Mozilla and IE but they don't give
diagnostic reports.