[Coco] Re: JPEG

James Ross jr at webross.com
Thu May 6 00:35:23 EDT 2004

Roger Taylor wrote:

>I wouldn't be surprised if the PNG format has a patent even though it's a
>"free" format.  I wonder how many people knew about the JPEG patent?  I've
>studied the JPEG specs and recently looked over the long patent, and the
>patent clearly describes the JPEG format.  My guess is that some weasle out
>there is waiting for the PNG format to become widespread, then go in for
>the kill.  This seems to be a common game, anyway.

I think you have precisely described the problem with patents. I have
jpegs on computer book CD's from 1995. So they were already popular
back then. The patent link in the article says it is from 1987, let's
see going on 17 years and they are just in the last couple of years
getting around to filing lawsuits?  How about 9+ years ago? These are
lawyers digging for gold and nothing else.  If the judge had any
brains he would through it out in an instance.

JR