[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Tue Mar 23 21:37:11 EST 2004

Hi,

High Jumping Beans!!!!

When I sent my last message it had NO attachments.

When it was returned it had four (4)!

Comparing the copy in my Sent Items and the copy Returned indicates to me
that some agent added them.

The prime suspect is Outlook Express.

The trigger must have been lines similar to the following which I am messing
up hoping it does not happen again. Look at the original message for an
exact example if you canNOT see what to remove.

NOTclass=NOTmoz-NOTsmiley-NOTs3NOT>NOT<notSPANnot>;NOT-)
<not/SPANnot><not/SPANnot>not&NOTnbspNOT;<notSPAN

If you do not believe me I have ZIP 12K and RAR 7K archives which I will
send to anyone interested. Both before and after messages and a text
comparison program output.

"moz" is in the lines so it must have started its life there. The OE
addition was useless because the original message I sent was Just text and
NOT HTML.

The returned message with the attachments had no smileys as I previously
reported that OE-QuoteFix will not display them for messages with
attachments or in HTML format.

----------------------------------

Investigating further it appears that the Easter Egg flame is justified and
well documented. I had used search words like "bold", "underlined",
"italics" and "emoticons" but not "smiley". The Jan 2004 MSDN Library gave
me 61 hits for "smiley" with sample code projects, documentation and
customer complaints about places where they were broken.

Robert Gault wrote:
> Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>> <snip>

They MUST be part of some standard if some agent adds "gif"s of them.

> Normally I don't send html mail but it was the only way to access the
> built-in smiley list.

Same here but it is hard to talk about graphics without graphics. Some times
COLOR is just as necessary.