[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Mon Mar 22 23:58:55 EST 2004

Hi,

> If the Microserfs spent as much time writing good code as
> they do glorifying themselves in Easter Eggs, there would
> be less bloat in MS products and they might actually be
> worth the cost.
>
> Jim

What do you not like about the cuddly Easter bunny? And how does it lay
eggs?

Actually Microsoft was NOT involved in the creation of  "OE-QuoteFix" and
there are many people that are very unhappy like me that the design of
Outlook Express does not support any additions. The author of "OE-QuoteFix"
is a very good programmer to be able to supply tools to enhance OE using
techniques that are very inventive.
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/text/index%5B2%5D(1).htm#oequotefix

The reason that "OE-QuoteFix" was written and the reason that I installed it
was very poor quoting of the messages by others. Not their intent but just
the normal action of text only e-mail readers when quoting previous
messages. HTML e-mail readers do not do such a horrible job. That IS one
strong plus for them.

I had just sent a message to the list that I just did not want to do all the
re- arraigning necessary to make the post readable and felt very bad that I
did not.

Now I do not see much of the poorly arraigned quoting of others but instead
see an easily read color coded indention of the several layers of previous
posters.

I hope any posts that I make are now much more easily read and it is easier
to tell who said what. If you disagree please tell me. I think that it is a
great tool.

I discussed long ago with Gene the best settings for wrapping lines and I
concluded that there is no BEST value for line length as others values
will mess up your postings anyway. "OE-QuoteFix" solves the problem as least
as far as what I sent out by correcting previous posters messes.

Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2004, at 8:40 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>
>> Are there any more is an additional question? * _ / the only ones?
>
> No, many email clients also support # for highlight.

A good idea, but I am sad to report that "OE-QuoteFix" and / or OE do not
support the # for highlight.

>> I would like a cut and paste of any documentation found. I have not
>> found
>> any so far, and I have a huge DVD of documentation.
>>
>> How do you search? "+asterisk  +underline +forward slash" ???
>
> With grep you could use:
> grep -F \* <files>
> or
> grep \\\* <files>
> for asterisk.
> grep _ <files>
> for underbar
> and
> grep / <files>
> for /
> and for any of the three
> grep [\*_/] <files>

I should have been more clear. The search I wish to do would be similar to
one done at Goggle or search.com (Where the pluses suggest that the word(s)
must occur in the reference. The DVD has its own search engine (MSDN
Library) and is not just a collection of bare naked only text files. Free
online for all to use.

Even grep will not help you when the size approaches 4.7 Gigs. Or even just
the collections of old messages that we have archived. I am working on that.

>> The capability must have been available in the browsers for some time
>> but
>> not used.
>
> It has been around for more than 15 years that I know of.  Before AOL
> connected to the Internet a large portion of Internet users knew about
> and used this technique.

With that comment I believe the place to look is the Internet RFC's. I have
not found those yet, or was it you had to pay big $$$$ to look at them?