[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

James Ross jr at webross.com
Sat Mar 20 21:23:41 EST 2004

Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> James Ross wrote
>> I tried a few games on Linux. Loki games (I think, something
>> like that). And I have to say, that in more cases than not they did
>> not run correctly if at all.
>
>This is rather hard to swallow.

So what are you saying?  What have I said on this forum that makes you
think I make up facts?  Did you try any of the Loki games? I wonder
why Loki is out of business by the way? http://www.lokigames.com/

>> Absolutely agreed.  I believe I spent more time setting things up
>> those 6 weeks I tried using only Linux than actually using it.
>
>Unless you 1) didn't use it much at all,

I used it for browsing the Internet, reading and writing email, and
newsgroups. Played around with installing packages, did a little
programming. For 6 Weeks. A few hours after work each day.

> 2) spent time setting things
>up because you could rather than because you had to, or

If you call setting things up so they will work the way you want them
to, and include the learning curve it takes to do that. Trying out
different programs because the ones your using are not good enough.  I
would call that necessary.  I probably spent 6 to 8 hours trying to
figure out why my KVM USB mouse and keyboard worked when it was first
installed but not after it was rebooted. Only by going through a
rigmarole (which included attaching a PS/2 keyboard) could I get it to
work after rebooting.

Never did figure that one out until recently when I installed SuSE 3.2
on a P4 3.0g with 1Gig of RAM and still had the exact same problem.
And only when I asked for help on the SuSE newsgroup to find out it
was some friggen obscure setting, like all the other times I have had
problems with stuff related to Linux. (perhaps you think I am making
this up too?)

>3) were using a
>distribution targeted to the more extreme technical users this is also
>hard to swallow.

The distribution I am using was mentioned in the post I was responding
to before this one.  SuSE 8.1  One of the easiest distributions there
is (supposedly)

>It generally takes me less time to install and
>configure Linux on a machine than it does for me to install and
>configure Windows on the same machine.

That is hard for me to swallow :)

Seriuosly good for you! I would have to conclude then, that you are a
Linux guru.

But with me it is just the opposite.  And even on a Windows box to
install my applications and set everything up the way I like it. I am
still looking at quite a few hours.

JR