[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 21:02:08 EST 2004

On Saturday 20 March 2004 05:19 pm, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> Unless you 1) didn't use it much at all, 2) spent time setting things
> up because you could rather than because you had to, or 3) were using
> a distribution targeted to the more extreme technical users this is
> also hard to swallow.  It generally takes me less time to install and
> configure Linux on a machine than it does for me to install and
> configure Windows on the same machine.

On a given machine, I can generally have Linux installed on bare metal
and running in about a quarter of the time it takes to do the same with
Windoze.  Most folks seem to have the idea that Windoze is easy to
install because they've never actually installed it from scratch --
they think that clicking the [YES] button to accept the EULA on a
pre-configured new machine counts as installing it.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net    http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

"And I don't like the idea of going _anywhere_ near the gods.  We're
like toys to them, you know."  _And they don't realise how easily the
arms and legs come off_, he added to himself.
                                Terry Pratchet, _The Last Hero_