[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Sat Mar 13 22:41:17 EST 2004

At 10:12 PM 3/13/04 EST, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>I'm not sure that my ISP will let me point to a different news server than
>what is built into their service.

Unless they're blocking the NNTP port, you should have no trouble. I use
old Netscape 3 for news because it sets up easily for any news server
you're allowed access to. My ISP has no news, so I'm subscribed to
news.onlynews.com for usenet, and a dozen other unique servers (such as
gmane, microsoft, silco, opera, pair, etc.).

>>  The gmane news server mungs anything it thinks is an e-mail address.
>>  For real e-mail addresses, it creates a temporary alias which it
>>  substitutes in the message.
>
>I guess this is supposed to block spammers from harvesting addresses?
>But isn't Dennis' list directory also hidden from spammers, so no need for
>this?

The gmane group is publicly readable (just not publicly writable). So it's
subject to harvest, thus the address munging.

Dennis