[Coco] Master List

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sat Mar 13 05:24:48 EST 2004

TIFF is a very flexible format that supports modified Huffman compression,
LZW compression, and JPEG compression. The fact that your documents aren't
compressed or are of poor quality is a limitation of the software you are
using to generate the images. Images scanned at 600 DPI with 256 gray levels
are sharp, easy to read, and are more flexible than GIF, JPEG, or PNG
images.

The real problem with TIFF is that cheap applications typically support only
the minimum requirements for Class 2 fax machines (150 DPI or less with 16
gray levels and no compression). The minimum requirement is definitely
insufficient for permanently archiving scanned documents. OCR conversion at
this level is risky as well.