[Coco] Anybody ever post "Quaver"?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 22:56:35 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/11/04 8:26:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bathory at maltedmedia.com writes:

> The original (and
>  I'm seriously working from memory here!) had to disable all interrupts
>  while the music was playing because of the overlapping voices, so I'm not
>  sure it was compatible with disk systems (which I never used).

Dennis -- my homegrown polyphonic synthesis programs also blocked interrupts
while running, and you had to make sure a disk wasn't still spinning before
starting play.  But after play finished, my code turned interrupts back on (as I
assume yours did too).  Then the disks, and anything else, worked normally
again.

My programs and one commercial program (Musica2?) had an option to go into
"double speed POKE" during play.  You were warned to save your edits before
playing, since your Coco might not come back afterwards.  The screen turned to a
blizzard during this POKE mode on a Coco 1 or 2.  The 3 ran normally at double
speed (in fact OS9 L2 always runs double).

BTW, I know that I had Quaver, but don't think I ever used it.  Interesting
manual.
--Mike K.