[Coco] Anybody ever post "Quaver"?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 22:56:34 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/11/04 8:26:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bathory at maltedmedia.com writes:

> I don't really know how the disk systems worked,
>  but the code was not relocatable and was self-modifying, so it couldn't be
>  ROMmed or relocated from its entry point of $4800.

Yep.  The music synthesis programs I wrote to play 4 or more part harmony out
the Coco speaker used self-mod code to get reasonable speed.  As did a couple
other ones I disassembled afterwards.  I'm just posting this so nobody will
accuse Dennis of playing nasty copy-protection tricks with self-mod code.

>  I wrote that sucker 22 years ago, and the final version (2.1) was released
>  in September 1983. *Now* they think it's important! Why didn't they think
>  that 20 years ago so I could have made some money on it?? :)

I wrote a really neat combination of BASIC and machine code app (for RSDOS,
not OS9) with a simple input language that the BASIC program compiled into
binary code, which you could then save or play.  There was an instrument editor in
BASIC too.  I showed it off at a Glenside meeting, and offered free copies,
but I couldn't *give* it away.

I had better luck with UltiMusE, as did Lester Hands with Lyra.  I think the
graphical approach to music writing goes over a LOT better, then and now.
--Mike K.