[Coco] Re: I'm signing off - 6309 Microprocessor Enhancements

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Mar 9 23:28:54 EST 2004

John Collyer wrote:
> To all my coco friends that I never did meet in person. This is it! I
> finally give up on computers and programming. This includes the internet and
> every thing about computers. It seems The Controllers are winning and I
> can't stand it anymore. Nothing is the same and I will not support the
> shipping of American jobs to low wage Countries like China, Mexico, and
> India.

Actually almost all the computer manufacturing jobs that could be
economically shipped overseas left at least a decade ago.

Doing or not doing programming computers will not change that.  That
battle was over a long time ago.

CPUs are still primarily designed in the U.S., Final assembly of major
computer systems are here.  Operating Systems, primarily U.S.
Compilers, databases, and such, primarily U.S.

Most software development is still done in the U.S as far as I can tell.
and I do not see it changing.  What is mainly seems to be moving to
cheaper areas is maintenance programming.  This is where someone is
basically making minor changes to a mature product.

<SNIP>
> Real information is getting harder to find on the
> internet, and you really can't trust what you read anymore.

Nothing has changed there for the past decade or more.

>  Not paying for
> my internet connection or buying new hardware and programs is my small way
> of supporting all the people that have lost their jobs to the over paid
> Benedict Arnold CEOs. I for one will never buy another thing that I can live
> without. Life is much more pleasant without these headaches.

I am also restricting buying things.  And yes, quite a few of the CEOs
are overpaid and out of touch with reality that there has to be employed
consumers to keep the money flowing in.  The loot and scoot ones want
the big salaries and perks up front so that if things fail, they don't
get impacted.

But computers are currently my lively hood, and the internet is one way
I stay current on them.  I am trying to make sure that I live within means.

I would not throw my allegiance to any of the main political parties for
more than what I decide to vote for the current election.  I have
watched them for over 30 years, and have not seen either of them
consistently deliver on their promises, except when it comes to finding
more ways to take money out of my pocket.

Most of them will say anything that you want to here to get elected, and
could easily be replaced with a parrot and no one would notice.  They
pass laws that sound good, but do not actually accomplish anything.

The ones with integrity and actually get to a leadership are very rare.

And I have worked in a union, and in union shops, and when the union and
management work together it works well.  And in many cases the union
keeps management from making stupid decisions, like letting quality slip
by hiring cheap unskilled employees, or allowing working conditions to
become unsafe.

But in others, when management is doing dumb things and uses inefficient
processes that results in more labor or other costs than what should be
needed to do it, instead of the unions pushing management to fix the
problem, the union tends to look at the extra people needed as a good
thing.  And this means that the business is in danger if there is any
competition in the market.  It becomes a short term victory for the
union, but eventually if nothing else changes there comes a point where
the business goes under.

I do not see the government fixing any of the problems regardless of who
gets elected.  I expect more of the same as what has been going on.

If the Unions want to get strong again, they need to have a much better
campaign than they do now.  They need to make sure that when a product
comes out of a union shop, that the quality is the best in class, and
not at the expense of cost, and the quality has to be there, not just
said to be there.  But the cost must be met, as too many consumers will
trade cost for quality, even when they do not realize that they are
actually paying more.

To offset the jobs lost through efficiencies, the unions need to push
the management into new products and markets.  But doing something with
less people is something that for someone in union leadership to do is
usually political suicide, so I do not expect unions to do this on any
major scale.

And because of this, the unions are not going to be effective either in
making a change or a comeback, or stopping job losses from off shoring.

I have seen examples of unions and management working together and
producing high quality products, but when they are total adversaries,
then it just seems to become a contest of which side can milk the most
cash from the company first.  If the company has any effective
competition, it is only a matter of time before it goes under, and the
only thing that the government can do to stop such a company going under
is to grant it an effective monopoly status.

With monopoly or near monopoly status, you can captivate a domestic
market, but there are few industries that this can be done in, and in
doing so you can shut your self off to an even larger world market.

I try to be balanced in looking at things, but I know that it is not
possible always.  I have my ingrained biases.

The "Controllers" have been winning this game as far back as I can find
recorded history.  Usually their victories only last a few generations
before they fade out, leaving nothing left but their names on some
buildings.

I do not have all the answers, if I did, I would not be a working stiff.

And in this area politics, the person with what appears the most
groundswell of support is some guy names Frost Heaves. His supporters
have these bright orange signs up everywhere, but none of them seem to
indicate what he is running for.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only, probably too much personal opinion.