[Coco] Master List

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 22:22:17 EST 2004

neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:

> I just scanned a medium sized image. After converting to line art,
>  the uncompressed tiff is 329 Kb. With LZW compression and LZW
>  differencing on, it is 33 Kb.

How do you convert to Line Art?  Is that part of your scanner's SW package,
or part of a photo editor?

And thanks for reminding us that TIFF does indeed have a LZW compression
option, which helps a lot (in your case, A LOT!).

>  As a gif, it is 5 Kb.

Wow!  But that's what I'd expect GIF to do on line art, meaning a line
drawing or pure text.  Good old RLE (run length encoding) will do well on those too.
--Mike K.