[Coco] Magnavox monitor

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 12:08:52 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/29/04 10:09:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:

> The power supply is not working properly and thus the lock on
>  circuitry doesn't fire. This may be a Cyclops design where one
>  horizontal output transistor not only drives the horizontal but is
>  also the chopper/regulator for the DC power supply. These are
>  notoriously nasty to service.

I'd guess the Maggie monitor is old enough to predate such pinny-pinching
sleazy designs.  It *may* even be old enough to have a real AC power transformer,
like some monitors I've had.  Those are no fun to pick up, but are reliable.

I've heard that modern TVs use the horizontal output to pump up DC to run the
whole set.  Of course, since time immemorial (about 1950), TVs have used the
horizontal output damping to boost the DC supply to the horizontal output -- a
sort of bootstrap circuit that recycles power that would otherwise go to
waste.
--Mike K.