[Coco] Re: CoCo Monitor

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Jun 26 18:27:52 EDT 2004

At 05:20 PM 6/24/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>         What are "artifact colors"? Does this have anything to do with
>the 555 timer chip that is hooked to one of the color lines from the
>6847 in my deuce?

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers for this one.  I first really noticed
artifact colors with my first CoCo 2 hooked to a color TV.  Even though the
PMODE4 (256x192) graphics mode was a 2-color mode, usually black and white
only or black and green, the DITHERING of pixels would simulate wild
colors, depending on the spatial frequency/pattern, etc.  The most famous
dithering pattern we've seen on the CoCo is the "every other pixel" pattern
which will produce red or blue.  In other words, if you plot the colors
from left to right and fill the entire screen with
black/white/black/white/black/white.... and so on, the resulting image
would appear to be solid blue (or red).  This is why some games ask you to
hit the reset button if the screen is red (or blue) and hit ENTER when it
appears to be a certain color that the game was designed to look best
with.  Why the CoCo outputs red or blue instead of shades of gray when you
dither black and white, I don't know, but the color TVs and monitors are
somehow seeing false colors in the video signal.