[Coco] [Color Computer] Repacking - was Re: Hello All

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 14:26:32 EDT 2004

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Robert Emery
<theother_bob at y...> wrote:

> > > Ham radio is facing the 'greying' of its ranks and I believe
many
> > > other hobbies are the same.
> > >
> > > Neil
>
> > Yeah well, You can't play Sinistar on a ham radio. :-p
> >
> > The one thing about the COCO is it takes up a lot of desk space.
> > I've seen people but it all in a PC tower case. Thats really
cool,
> > but I think I'd mess something up if I tried. :)
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> It's pretty easy Charlie. The hard part is figuring out how to
bring out the
> rear connectors (for which I think my repack adapter is a great
solution - put
> them in an old CDROM case which fits into a 5-1/4 drive bay) and
the edge
> connector. An MPI can make it a lot more complicated and you have
to find the
> right case to allow cartridge access. I like how mine turned out.
>
> It all started for me back in '86 when I got fed up with the mass
of wires and
> equipment for my CoCo1 setup (and I didn't even have an MPI). I had
a fan
> installed already and decided to put my DCM-300 inside under the
keyboard.
> Piece of cake... even the wall-wart fit in there and I added a
power switch
> that turned it and the fan on together. I also added an internal
joystick.
> While I was there I decided to create a poor-man's Y-cable by
soldering another
> edge-connector socket underneath the board. That let me use my
Speech Pak and
> disk drive together for the first time. But I digress...
>
> I'm curious how many folks out there would like to repack but just
don't feel
> up to the hassle of hardware modification for whatever reason.
Would anyone be
> willing to pay for repack services, adapters, or other custom
modifications
> such as adding an internal floppy drive or joystick to their stock
CoCo?

> Bob Emery
> http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob
.com/

Hi Bob. I saw the pics of your COCO mods over @ the COCO3.COM forums.
Very neat.

I want to keep my COCO stock the way it is. Plus I do have an MPI,
and big ol' burke & burke hdd controller and a full sized Seagate MFM
hard drive! You might have looked at my setup in the pic I posted
over @ the COCO3.COM forums.

Charlie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM