[Coco] [Color Computer] Repacking - was Re: Hello All

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 13:17:16 EDT 2004

> > Ham radio is facing the 'greying' of its ranks and I believe many
> > other hobbies are the same.
> >
> > Neil

> Yeah well, You can't play Sinistar on a ham radio. :-p
>
> The one thing about the COCO is it takes up a lot of desk space.
> I've seen people but it all in a PC tower case. Thats really cool,
> but I think I'd mess something up if I tried. :)
>
> Charlie

It's pretty easy Charlie. The hard part is figuring out how to bring out the
rear connectors (for which I think my repack adapter is a great solution - put
them in an old CDROM case which fits into a 5-1/4 drive bay) and the edge
connector. An MPI can make it a lot more complicated and you have to find the
right case to allow cartridge access. I like how mine turned out.

It all started for me back in '86 when I got fed up with the mass of wires and
equipment for my CoCo1 setup (and I didn't even have an MPI). I had a fan
installed already and decided to put my DCM-300 inside under the keyboard.
Piece of cake... even the wall-wart fit in there and I added a power switch
that turned it and the fan on together. I also added an internal joystick.
While I was there I decided to create a poor-man's Y-cable by soldering another
edge-connector socket underneath the board. That let me use my Speech Pak and
disk drive together for the first time. But I digress...

I'm curious how many folks out there would like to repack but just don't feel
up to the hassle of hardware modification for whatever reason. Would anyone be
willing to pay for repack services, adapters, or other custom modifications
such as adding an internal floppy drive or joystick to their stock CoCo?

Bob Emery
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM