[Coco] parallel communications

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Mon Jun 21 13:08:19 EDT 2004

Would it be possible to use a 74374, with some address decoding logic,
to make a 4-bit bi-directional parallel port? (of sorts) I want to make
a programmer for SPI based microcontrollers, and the CoCo is the best
candidate in my collection for the programming system.

Also, does anyone know what address 0x80 on a PC does? I think it's
related to the parallel port, as the example code I'm looking at is
writing to it. It's using the parallel port to do serial communications
with a microcontroller for in-system programming. I'd like to make an
interface card for the CoCo that'll let me program the microcontrollers
from there.

Does anyone have any tips for this? I've got a spare 74374 lying
around, along with other 7400 series TTLs, but not much experience in
wiring them up. I'd like to keep from spending a cent on the
programmer, and reuse as many chips I've got as possible. I guess the
main thing would be the address decoding.. are there any tricks for
fully decoding the 16-bit address while using the least possible chips?

James