[Coco] assembly questions?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jul 24 21:50:21 EDT 2004

Kevin

John Kent has a functional Core that is called a SoC, System on a
Chip. He has the 6809 CPU core and built around it is a  UART, a
simple MMU, and timer and few other items. It is designed to boot
the Flex (Flex09) operating system. It fits comfortablity in a Spartan
II 300K gate part. The CPU core itself will fit just into a 200K gate
Spartan II.

The Spartan II would be more prefered as its inputs and outputs are
5 volt tolerant. The Sparttan IIE and Spartan III are not unless there
is an external pullup.

I was more hoping for a smaller core so that maybe much of the
GIME functions and the CPU functions could be done in one chip.
Looking at the Spartan 3 family, a 400K or 600K gate could almost
do the whole Coco on one chip plus external ram/rom.

james