[Coco] Re: Help with ms-dos DSKINI please

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 19 23:35:32 EDT 2004

Charlie wrote:

> **Here is the part that threw me. When I tried to create a OS9 disk in MESS
> it just didnt do anything.

That is because the .os9 disk starts out as an empty file and MESS does
not have lsn0 to determine a disk format. At the moment, I'm not sure
what the best workaround is for this.

> So I made a copy of lsl.os9 (lsl2.os9) and
> formatted lsl.os9
>
> I loaded dsave and os9gen.
> mounted /d0 lsl2.os9 (the copy with the game)
> mounted /d1 lsl.os9 (newly formatted)
>
> dsave -b /d1 ! shell
>
> Whammo!

The difference between what you and I tried is I used backup and you
used dsave. Backup makes and identical copy while dsave will change the
location of files on the disk; equivalent to a defrag.

Again, why this should matter to dskini is not obvious.