[Coco] Re: Totally OT: Terabit memory device

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Jul 18 20:36:27 EDT 2004

At 08:43 AM 7/18/2004, you wrote:
>While apparently not the fabled cube, in a Jeff Harrow newsletter, either
>_The_Rapidly_Changing_Face_of_Computing_ or the _Harrow_Report_, sometime
>a few years ago told of a LAB that recorded several terabytes of data on a
>roll of standard cellophane tape, and was able to retrieve the data.

This doesn't surprise me.  We are way too far behind in this
technology.  You should read up on molecular computing and storage.  Until
we get that on our desktop, things will just keep getting smaller and
smaller.  I'll be glad when the silliness of the rotating disc/disk/platter
finally dies away.  We had laser disc movies back in the late 70's.  Here
it is 2004 and that technology has only gotten smaller, with more layers
possible, etc.  I'll be thrilled when we can take a credit card-sized
device and burn onto it everything we own in multimedia.