[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 22:58:40 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/16/04 9:07:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bathory at maltedmedia.com writes:

> > As I remember the story
>  >memory storage has outstripped data production and they had managed to
>  >get all data, past and present,
>  >stored on 1 sugar cube size device and true to the nature of man, lost
>  >the access key.

Much better is the present Internet -- all sorts of data stored in widely
scattered sites (thus making it "holographic" in the metaphorical sense of being
hard to wipe out by natural or man-made disaster), and accessible by
content-driven search from almost anywhere by nearly anyone.

>  That terabit/byte sugar cube just keeps comin' around on the old
>  development guitar:

Shades of the 60 MPG carburetor of urban legend?   And just as 60 MPG doesn't
sound all that much better than a Toyota Prius hybrid, one terabit is ho-hum
and one terabyte is probably gonna show up in Staples in a couple of years.

I like sci-fi that features ships traveling warp speed to lasso "strings" to
build rotating rings the size and mass of galaxies.  No worry about that
becoming routine for a while.  I'd be thrilled to live to see a footprint on Mars,
and would settle for some fresh ones on the Moon.  --Mike K.