[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Jul 18 00:49:38 EDT 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 8:56 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> I forgot to mention that.  I bought a 60-gig Maxtor and after it was
> formatted (NTFS), it yields 57 gigs.  WHERE did 3 GIGS go?  I can
> understand a few megs or maybe even 200 megs for overhead, but not 5%
> of the drive.  :)  Oh well.

The unformatted capacity of a DSDD 5.25" floppy is around 500k, so the
overhead using 18-256 byte sectors or 9-512 byte sectors per track is
around 39% overhead!  If you do the math between the two different
versions of a gigabyte, 57 of one is 61.2 of the other so your overhead
is negligible.  Of course that is because the 60 gigs *is* formatted
capacity.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?