[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Jul 17 23:56:26 EDT 2004

At 09:58 PM 7/17/2004, you wrote:
>Really?  One gigahertz is a billion cycles/second.
>Actually, a gigabyte is about 1.05 billion bytes as human reckon things.

Yea, that's the thing.  Hertz is based on 1000's but not the binary and
memory system... but we all know that.  HD resellers know that, too, but it
pays more to redefine what "byte" means.  The mega and tera part are
multipliers of the value of a byte.

> > But by legally stating in fine print
> >  what the company's definition of gigabyte means, it's not really false
> >  advertisement.
>
>I've seen those fine prints, but their real kicker is the "formatted size",
>which is always less for hard drivers or floppies.  --Mike K.

I forgot to mention that.  I bought a 60-gig Maxtor and after it was
formatted (NTFS), it yields 57 gigs.  WHERE did 3 GIGS go?  I can
understand a few megs or maybe even 200 megs for overhead, but not 5% of
the drive.  :)  Oh well.