[Coco] Re: NITROS9 Script problems

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 17 19:24:46 EDT 2004

John Donaldson was asking about the following script which did not work
with the latest NitrOS-9 release.

chd /h0/sys
merge stdnfonts stdptrs stdpats_2 stdpats_4 stdpats_16 stdwnd
chd /h0
gshell <>>>/w&

I have tested this script on a real Coco using the latest 6309L2 3.02.02
release and there is no problem related to NitrOS-9. There are several
things that can cause this script to fail but they should be classed as
operator error. :)

First, if the above is the complete script, there is no -x at the top.
That means any error will cause shell to stop processing the script and
exit.

As has been mentioned already, stdwnd does not exist in the NitrOS-9
distribution. This will cause an error and the script will quit before
reaching the gshell line. Stdwnd must either be acquired or the line
edited. With stdwnd removed from the script, Multi-Vue "starts" for me.
Also the correct name is stdfonts not stdnfonts but this may have been a
typo in the e-mail.

Two, Multi-Vue needs the file SYS/env.fil to work properly. It is quite
possible that the above script will not find env.file. It all depends on
the /dd descriptor used when creating the boot disk and whether gshell
will look at /d0 or /dd for files.

As written, gshell did not find env.file for me because my /dd pointed
to /d0 not /h0 and the boot disk did not have env.file. Once env.file
was copied to /d0/SYS, Multi-Vue started but had problems. Why, because
the env.file expected /dd to be /h0.

Three, the env.file must indicate that the current command directory
contains the Multi-Vue commands. The NitrOS-9 standard boot will not
create a boot disk with the needed commands. Even if the above script
file had a chx /h0/cmds, MV would probably still not work. Once MV is
started, it is necessary to click on Disk (menu bar) and select Set
Execute. In the case of both John and myself this will be /h0/cmds. Only
if /dd is pointing to /h0 can /dd/cmds be used.

I hope this helps anyone trying to run Multi-Vue from a newly created
NitrOS-9 distribution disk.