[Coco] CHX broke? for 6309l2v030201

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Jul 14 15:31:33 EDT 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 2:21 PM, Kevin Diggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Are the execution & data directories attributes of the shell
> or are they part of the process? In other words, could you replace
> the last line with:
>
> 	ex sierra </1

Yes, this will work.  ex calls F$Chain which allows the child process
to inherit its I/O paths, and even the process ID.

> 					kevin
>
> P.S.:	What is with the /1 anyway? I don't recognize that?

/1 is a special shell symbol that means " the standard output path." It
is used when interactive programs are being forked from a shell script.
  Since the shell that's processing the shell script has its standard
input as the script file itself (i.e. RBF), you muse use </1 so that
the process being forked uses the same device as the standard output is
using (the screen).