[Coco] Portal-9 update

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Jul 14 02:28:22 EDT 2004

At 12:19 AM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
> > Please report any problems.
> > This update features printing and custom editor window fonts for the
> source
> > editor, hex editor, readout window, and general text files, all 4 with
> > different colors for the background.
>
>Roger, I played around a little with P-9, I think v1.4 or so. I was
>thinking of
>using it for Basic programming (ISTR you said it could be used for that), much
>like I currently use a tabbed text editor... *but*... the IDE is not well
>suited to basic programming, at least with long lines. I'd suggest an 80
>column
>line-wrap mode that ignores spaces (as opposed to word-wrap). You know, like
>the original. (or have you already done some such?)
>
>As I recall, there was no wrapping at all and a basic line of 200+ characters
>is not fun to work with that way. And don't say use shorter lines... the main
>FOG module is already strapped for memory. Just my $.02
>
>I intend to start working more with assembler soon (making FOG a bit more of a
>hybrid), and plan to use P-9 when I do.
>
>Take care,
>Bob

The DLLs used for the text and hex editors are the works of Ketil Olsen who
I've asked before about line wrapping and he basically said that he wasn't
sure about adding it yet and I would have to format the buffer myself with
carriage returns.  The first thing that comes to mind is that I need to
somehow reformat the editor buffer with CRs continuously and then later
recompose any broken lines by removing any CRs that are not directly before
a line number.  I wasn't aware of a 200-character limit for each line, but
this won't be an issue if I handle this temporary CR trick.  I'll put this
on my agenda.
Thanks,

Roger Taylor