[Coco] Unicode and MIME (was: Updated accurate memory map)

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Sat Jul 10 14:35:46 EDT 2004

On 10-Jul-04, at 2:02 PM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

>  I wonder why a single apostrophe generates THREE chars -- French
> a-circumflex, Euro-sign, and TM?  Actually, it appears that Euro and
> TM are separate
> codes here.

and

> Does UTF-8 use 16 bits for extended characters, or is it just the
> unused
> upper 128 codes of ASCII (which you can get by holding ALT while
> typing 3 or 4
> digits)?  I guess the "8" answers that :-)

Actually, for ASCII characters, it uses 8 bits. For any unicode
character that needs more than that, a code is used to initiate an
extended sequence (in this case, the a-circumflex) and other bytes
follow. I believe there are unicode characters that require more than
two bytes.

> Is there any setting I can make in my OS or emailer to make it more
> likely to
> interpret UTF-8?  Or just hope that the correct MIME headers come thru
> in
> each email?  I went thru my Control Panel but none of the options seem
> to apply.

I know there's a setting in mine. It's the Text Encoding, which might
be set to be ISO Latin. It's usually the default.

> Here's an interesting question:  If you actually see all the
> MIME-functions
> listed in your received email text, does that mean that your mailer
> has failed
> to recognize and act on them?  I often get emails with all those MIME
> headers
> in them visible, and I'm wondering if they shouldn't be hidden
> whenever the
> mail reader does recognize them?

If you see MIME separators and the like, the mailer hasn't processed
them. I usually only see this in SPAM.

> Also, why are some keyboards generating a "left apostrophe?"  We
> already
> have, in ASCII, the back-tick ( ` ) for programmers who need balanced
> single
> quotes.

It's not the keyboard, it's the software. In some text editing
software, and I guess emailers, doing a " after a space will give you
the right quote, and after other characters, the left quote. Same with
the apostrophe. I hated it when Word used to do that to me... Mac Word
Version 5 (long time ago) did it, and I turned it off as soon as I
figured out how.

I had always wondered why ` was used... :) now I know. :)

James