[Coco] Re: Barden's Assem book

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jul 5 22:58:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 19:44, Mannequin* wrote:
> Haven't a clue, but just because someone has a monopoly on a particular
> item doesn't mean you have to pay $4.00.

Yes it does.

> You could probably wait and get
> for $1.00 from someone or somewhere else. (Or if no one buys it the
> first time, you can get it for less from the same guy.)

Waiting denies you the use of the item. And common behavior on ebay is
just to relist at the same price, since chances are you just didn't get
lucky and have the right guy come along the first time that really
"needed" the item.

> Besides, I'm sure there are other places locally one can get some hobby
> material. Local hobby computer stores, other autions and stores online,
> etc.

Nope. At least, not in my neighborhood. All you're going to find is
Sam's books on Mastering Windows XP or crap like that.

Straighten up and get serious!

Unless you've got a package deal or the individual just wants to throw
the item away I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to find this
book for $1.

Like it or not, scarcity is an important factor in the price of items,
along with demand. There is a healthy hobbyist community, so there
appears to be demand for this kind if book. And it's hard to argue books
on 6809 assembly language programming aren't a little scarce these days.

$4 is reasonable even as a starting bid. A copy of your typical
throwaway periodocal is more. Plenty of places will charge you about $4
for a bagel with cream cheese. I often find myself leaving $4 as a tip
at restaurants and I'm a big cheapskate.

If someone thought they would only get $1 for an item like this on ebay
they wouldn't even bother listing it, since it wouldn't be worth the
trouble.

-- John,