[Coco] Re: Barden's Assem book

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 14:19:35 EDT 2004

mannslists at invigorated.org writes:

> That might be true, but I don't know of anyone who would bid on it
>  starting at $4.00. If he wanted $4.00 out of it, he should have used a
>  reserve price or something.

ISTR that eBay charges the seller more, and/or docks some of the seller's
features and privileges, if he sets a Reserve.  For a small item like this, a
reserve isn't worth the bother.

Besides, if I see something I really want, my first bid is close to the
maximum that I'm willing to pay for it.  Not only is this the "mature" way to
handle an e-auction, but such "advance sniping" discourages a lot of other bidders,
as they keep putting in low bids and seeing themselves instantly outbid

Yes, it *is* a recommended eBay tactic to list a very lowball starting bid,
to suck people in and get the ball rolling.  This seller chose to start the
bidding at something like what the item is worth.  Betcha he gets lots more.
Only when the starting bid exceeds the fair market value should proctological
actions that invalidate the usage of solar batteries be recommended :-)
--Mike K.