[Coco] Nitros9 & Mess

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 28 20:18:42 EST 2004

Bill Nobel wrote:
>  Hey all,
>
>  I am trying to setup a Nitros9 system using Mess, but I am getting very
> frustrated with the Virtual Disks.  I have a working boot on a 40trk SS
> disk.  The drive descriptors in the boot are for 40trk DS disks and a
> virtual HD using Alan's EmuDsk.
>
>  I cannot seem to be able to format and disk with more than 1 side all I
> get is error 242's for everything I do with the disks (format, copy, dir
> etc...) am I missing something??  I followed Alan's instructions for
> creating the virtual HD, but cannot format it.  I did jerry rig it to
> work by modifying LSN0's density byte to $02 instead of $03.  This
> allowed me to format the drive but copying files to it trashes the
> directory when it needs to allocate more sectors for the directory past
> it's default.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> -Bill

> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Bill,

Emulators, at least MESS, have problems with low level formats because
there really is no disk. Logical formats are not a problem. Therefore
you either need to use a utility such as the MESS imgtool.exe or
mkimage.exe to create the disk image. Once the image is created, the
OS-9 format should work for a logical format.

There are other methods for creating .dsk and .vhd images. Any PC
program that can extend a blank file to the correct length for an image
will work. The correct length being whatever is in the OS-9 descriptor
for the "drive".

If you can't make progress, tell me what size image you need. I could
e-mail one to you.