[Coco] Re: flash memory

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 21:01:32 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/25/04 11:42:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
PaulH96636 at aol.com writes:

> It might be informative to ask those current members who have used Boisey's
>  flash
>  memory adapter for the IDE controller if they've experienced any problems
>  after
>  extended usage with OS-9, which can give drives a rigorous workout.

I believe all flash memories have a specified expected number of
erase-and-rewrite cycles, so heavy usage (like a hard-working photographer, or an OS-9 RAM
drive) could shorten the life expectancy.

Not clear why the Mars rover would wear out its program flash memory, since
it should be read-only and execute-only.  However, the 60 or so reboots that
Spirit had done before the human masters told it to cool it, probably took some
life off the chips.  Although the expected number of cycles allowed is
something like 400K.
--Mike K.