[Coco] Why "TRS-80" Color Computer?

Perry M Dueck pmdueck at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 25 10:22:20 EST 2004

>>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>> Does anyone know why Tandy/Radio Shack insisted on
>> labeling virtually all Color Computer products "TRS-80
>> Color Computer?"
>> I always thought that TRS-80 was specifically for the Z-80
>> based Model 1-3 (4, 16, ect...)

Although I don't *actually know* why Tandy/Radio Shack did this, I do
speculate it was to capitilize on brand name recognition.

Since their early machines had the TRS-80 moniker on them (Model 1, Model
2, Model 3, Pocket Computer, etc.), I guess they figured they might as well
continue with that brand name on all their machines and related compuer
products (and they did so up until....1985 or 1986? when they switched
everything over to the Tandy name)

Even stuff like their blank computer cassettes had the TRS-80 (and later
Tandy) name on them. Obviously a blank cassette tape does not have a Z-80
microprocessor.   :)